Cruise Director questions
What’s most enjoyable about working for Emerald Waterways? How do you find time to relax in your free time? And, which itinerary is your favourite? We ask Cruise Director Wesley Peeman for his insight into life on-board an Emerald Waterways Star-Ship.
1. Where are you from?
2. How long have you worked for Emerald Cruises?
I joined Emerald Cruises in 2016,
3. How did you become a Cruise Director?
I was in hotel management for 12 years, in various locations around the world, before becoming a tour director on coach in the USA and Canada. I wanted to find something closer to home and river cruising was the perfect option for me.
4. What are your main responsibilities?
My main responsibility is to ensure our guests are happy, in the hope they’ll have such a wonderful time, they’ll want to return to us one day.
5. What do you enjoy most about your job?
I share a lot of really nice moments with the guests as I help them to create unforgettable memories.
6. What’s the most challenging part of your job?
Being away from my family.
7. Which is your favourite Emerald Cruises itinerary?
Splendours of Europe, it has everything you could want!
8. Which included excursion from this itinerary would you advise guests don’t miss?
Bamberg, it’s such a pretty town, with 2,400 listed buildings and the largest preserved Old Town in Europe.
9. How would you best explain the river cruising experience to someone who has never tried it?
It’s a relaxing way to see a number of wonderful destinations in one trip. You only have to unpack once and, because of the size of the ship, you can dock centrally in smaller ports that bigger ships can’t. And, let’s not forget, you’ll enjoy delicious authentic food, every day.
10. How is river cruising different from ocean cruising?
The main difference is the size of the ship. It’s much more intimate and you get to know your fellow guests really quickly. It’s lovely to see new friendships evolve. And, there’s wonderful scenery to enjoy from start-to-finish.
11. How do you relax while you’re on-board?
I enjoy reading and taking bicycle rides along the rivers, towns and villages.
We’d like to thank Wesley for taking part in Cruise Director Questions, and hope you’ve enjoyed seeing Emerald Waterways from a different view. If you’d like to find out more about our luxury river cruises, visit the homepage or call us today on 0808 159 8422 and our friendly team will be happy to help you.